The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A Trip to Round Lake, Illinois-- Part 2

My wife and I lived in Round Lake Beach from 1975 to 1992 and both taught in Round Lake Schools. She taught 1st and 3rd grade at Beach School and later was transferred to Ellis School where she taught 3rd grade until 2005.

We had a home at the corner of Beverly and Morningside in Round Lake Beach, about two blocks east of Fairfield Road. 1103 Morningside.

It was a Fairfield Builders home and they had models on Fairfield just north of the White Hen (probably a 7-11 now). Bought it for $33,000, which was a lot of money back then. It was our first house after two years of living in apartments, first in Des Plaines and then in Vernon Hills.

We have lots of fond memories of Round Lake.


MAGEE MIDDLE SCHOOL

Located on Cedar Lake Road and Hart Road. This was the site of the first Round Lake School built about the turn of the 20th Century and since torn down with the rennovation of Magee. I taught here from 1973 to 2004, 31 years.

I wasn't too happy when they closed it after opening Round Lake Middle School in Round Lake Heights, but it did give me the opportunity to clear out 31 years of accumulated school stuff. I would have liked to haveremained for my last two years, but had no choice but to go.

I got together with my old team of teachers this past Friday and they are moving back to Magee (and they're KEEPING the name, but now will be called the Cougars after the recent cougar sighting in the area. I'll definitely come back for a visit.

Good Times in Round Lake. --RoadDog

No comments: