The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Friday, February 27, 2015

In Case You're Not Sure of a "Galoot"

As used in the previous post on my bald eagle classification.  Once out of the egg, they are "Bandidos" then become "Galoots."

When I found that I had originally misspelled the word with double "l"s, I looked it up.  I have used the word often, but never written it.  Well, that's my excuse anyway.    I don't know where I picked it up from, though.

According to the dictionary, a GALOOT is an awkward, eccentric or foolish person.

According to the British dictionary it is a noun for a clumsy or foolish person, origin unknown.

Of interest to my War of 1812 blog readers (Not So Forgotten), one of its early meanings was a nautical term from 1812.  In this usage it referred to a "raw recruit, green hand."  Apparently it was originally a sailor's contemptuous words for soldiers or marines.

Even Back Then and in the British Navy, There Was Service Rivalry Between the Navy and Marines.  --RoadDog

No comments: