From the New Lenox (Illinois) Area Historical Society "The Lincoln Highway, the Road and the School."
The Lincoln Highway ran through New Lenox Township following an old Indian trail which became a stagecoach route in the 1840s and was also used by horses and wagons.
When a high school district was formed for Frankfort, Manhattan and New Lenox townships in the 1950s, a contest was held to name the new high school which was to be built along the Lincoln Highway. The Lincoln-Way submission was selected and Lincoln-Way Community High School opened in 1954. Today, it is called Lincoln-Way Central because population growth has led to the creation of Lincoln-Way East, Lincoln-Way North and Lincoln-Way West.
The Illinois Lincoln Highway Coalition has built an interpretive gazebo by Central.
Honoring an Old Road. --RoadDog