The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Thursday, April 26, 2007

A Day Off- True BBQ in Cross Plains, Tn.,


Took the day off and stayed with relatives in White House, Tn. As much as I like being on the road, I also like rests. Got to see my grand niece Aylin Pearl for the first time. And of course, there's Charlie, Mr. "Cars" , who is now four.

I'm a big bbq fan of all types. I especially like eastern Carolina pit-cooked, pulled pork barbeque. Both Andy and Andrea suggested a trip to True Barbeque in Cross Plains, about eight miles north of White House off I-65.

Exit at Tn. Highway 25 and go west. Right at the exit, there is an antique store featuring one of the mufflermen done up as an Indian and a large pink elephant with sunglasses. I just love roadside kitsch like this.

You go about four miles until you see a large pig statue and you're there. A plate of pulled pork bbq with two vegetables costs $4.75. I got the cole slaw and sweet corn nuggets which I highly recommend. You can season your bbq with hot or mild sauce

They also feature hoe cakes. A hoe cake, which I had never heard of before, is like a corn pancake. For dessert, I had a chess pie, also something I had never heard of before. This is an absolutely delicious egg custard pie. It is VERY filling.

I should have mentioned that earlier today, I had driven over to the BP mini mart west of the White House/ Tn-76 exit and bought some chocolate uglies for 79 cents apiece. This is one of the best pastries I've ever had and made by the Apple Bakery out of Salisbury, NC. They also have blueberry and apple uglies which are good, but I like the chocolate ugly the best. If you ever see one somewhere, give it a try.

BBQing Down that Two Lane Highway. --RoadDog

5 comments:

Mom to 2 Angels said...

We tried the ugly that you left for us, not bad. Hope you are enjoying the rest of your trip.

Mom to 2 Angels said...

Ok, where are you?

RoadDog said...

I just signed in and did a test post on your blog! It works from any computer. Use the email address as the username and you know the password. You can do it! Call me at home if you want to and I'll walk you through it.

RoadDog said...

Still doesn't work.

RoadDog said...

Still doesn't work.