The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Friday, September 14, 2012

Summer '12 North Carolina Trip-- Part 5: A Big Muskie Bucket

JULY 11TH

I then get on I-77 heading south.  At MM 37, there is an Ohio Bicentennial Barn 1803-2003.  Quite a few were painted with the logo back in 2003.  I don't know how many still stand, but this one is kept up nicely.

A yellow Corvette zoomed by with a license plate reading "USingle".

By Exit 25, there is a brown highway sign announcing Big Muskie Bucket, probably one of the more interesting names I've seen.  Probably some sort of a fishing thing.

At this time, I began watching a number on my car's Info dashboard.  It said that I was getting 31.2 mpg on average overall, not just on the trip.  It had been around 26.3 mpg when I left home yesterday.  Another reading on info was instant mpg which fluctuated a lot depending upon how much pressure I put on the gas pedal and whether I was climbing, on flat surface or coming down a slope.

I decided to see how high I could get that gas mileage, which meant I slowed down to about 5-10 miles under the speed limit.

Hey, I'm not in a huge hurry.  I'm "re-tarred" as they say down south.

Working on a Mileage Thing.  --RoadDog

2 comments:

DennyG said...

The Big Muskie was a power shovel that did strip mining in a truly major way. Only the bucket remains but its capacity is 220 cubic yards which they equate to a 12 car garage. Some of the land it stripped is being reclaimed as The Wilds with critters like rhinos & giraffes.

There was a bicentennial barn done in each of the 88 counties but I've no idea how many are left.

RoadDog said...

Probably one of the strangest signs I've ever seen. So, there is a story behind it.

Perhaps I'll have to take a side trip the next time through.