Tuesday, April 17, 2018
22 Words That Have Different Meanings in Chicago-- Part 5: The "L"
First, what it means everywhere else.
18. THE COACH-- The head person on a team who calls the plays. In Chicago, it means Mike Ditka, also sometimes called Da Coach.
19. PARKING METER-- Where you pay for parking. In Chicago, it is what the mayor sells to buy some stuff. You can take out a second mortgage to pay for it now.
20. THE "L"-- The 12th letter of the alphabet. In Chicago, what you take to get around downtown.
21. ST. PATRICK'S DAY-- March 17. In Chicago, it is a day of drunken debauchery where the river gets dyed green. People have green tongues for several days afterwards.
22. THE SECOND CITY-- Chicago. In Chicago, it means New York.