The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A Real Locals Oyster and Seafood Place in Panama City, Florida

I have a distant cousin who lives near Panama City in Florida, and on our recent effort to avoid all the Global Warming that's been going on this winter in Illinois, we visited this area for the first time. Last year, we got to within 50 miles at Destin, but found out the college Spring Breakers were out in force at Panama City Beach, so proceeded no further.

Called him and asked him if we could get together at a really good locals seafood joint, and he recommended Hunt's Oyster Bar and Seafood Restaurant at 440 Grace Avenue in Panama City.


FINDING THE PLACE

He gave good directions, but we evidently drove right by it and ended up in downtown Panama City where we had to ask for directions. Got them, back tracked and still couldn't find the place. Stopped at a gas station and asked where it was. I hate when this happens, but I was told it was "NEXT DOOR."

In my defense and my excuse is that this is a VERY NONDESCRIPT, one story building AND there is NO sign out by the street. The name is on the wall and windows which are not readily seen from the road, especially with the much larger and impressive Shrimp Boat Restaurant across the street. We must have been looking at that when we first drove by.


INSIDE THE JOINT

Joint is a good way to describe the place. If you're looking for elegance, this just ain't the place. This is a place for communing, drinking ice colds, and eating great seafood and at a reasonable price. There is absolutely nothing fancy about the place.

My cousin, his sister, and parents were already there, devouring plates of oysters and drinking beer when we arrived. He had made reservations and when we first entered, I was wondering why as there weren't that many people in there at 4:15. But, by 5, the line was out the door. They really pack the locals in.


EATIN'

A dozen oyster, fresh shucked at the counter, was $4.50. I could only look as I got ahold of a bad oyster 20 years ago and spent a real long two months getting over it. I still can't eat a raw oyster as the old body reminds me of what happened last time. I could just look longingly. I made up for it with lots of fried grouper balls, something you have to try when there. For dinner, I had a pound of the best jumbo Cajun shrimp I've ever tasted. Then, there were the hush puppies and coleslaw.

Phone number in case you get lost: 850-873-6313.

In Short, I Highly Recommend This Place. --RoadDog

No comments: