The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Monday, April 29, 2013

Coming Home-- Part 2: Got My 'Cue

I was one of the first people into Hursey's Barbecue April 1st.

In 1945, Sylvester Hursey took his father's method of cooking pork and added a secret sauce and began selling his bbq out of his home, but soon outgrew it.  He got his first place in Gibsonville, NC.

In 1949 he started the North Carolina BBQ Wholesale Company and started selling at his Graham (where I was) and Burlington.  They use the pork shoulder of the pig only, reputedly the best part. 

I'd heard the bbq was great, but also try the chicken so I ordered the combination plate which came with cole slaw, hush puppies and fries., for $7.95.  The chicken was broasted, something you can't get in too many NC places.  And, the bbq was some of the best I ever tasted.  As good as it was, I still poured on huge amounts of the sauce which made it even better.

The whole time I was there, they kept playing Sirius/XM 80s-90s country and real good stuff too.

I'll be Back.  --RoadDog

No comments: