The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

DeKalb for NIU Homecoming 2015-- Part 5: The Day After, Looking and Buying.

OCTOBER 25TH, SUNDAY

Woke up and had the very so-so continental breakfast at the Baymont and then proceeded to ride around campus.  I drove by Lincoln Hall and saw where Liz's old dorm, Douglas Hall, once stood until this year.  It has now been torn down for a planned straight through drive through campus from east to west end.  I miss Douglas, and Liz especially so, but I'd say the new "Drive" is going to look good when completed.

Then drove out by Greek Row north of campus.  Very dead out there at 8:30 a.m. for some reason.  Went by the old Delta Dig house on Greenbrier, now a home for students.

Then drove out to Sycamore Road and went to Lowe's and Wal-Mart.  I bought NIU souvenirs at Wal-Mart which has a nice collection of stuff, though prices aren't always marked.

Went to the Target across the street.  Now that they closed the store in McHenry, Illinois, I rarely get to go to one of these.  Bought several CDs there.  I was sad to see that the Barnes & Nobles book store by it is now closed.  Even though it was a Big Box store, I liked it.

On the way back to the Batmont, I drove through the old neighborhood east of campus, where the first Delta Sig house was located on Augusta.  We always thought we'd like to live in this area if we could find teaching jobs in DeKalb or the area.  The trees get a golden hue in the fall and are quite impressive.

Then, it was a ride by Altgeld Hall, "The Castle on the Hill" and the Lagoon, my two favorite places on campus.

--RoadDog

No comments: