The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Music From the Road-- Part 1: "Book of Dreams"

I did get to listen to all five of the CDs I took along on my recent North Carolina Thanksging trip. One thing I can say about the '11 Malibu is that it has a great sound system as does the '05 Dakota.I have to admit there were times that the volume might have been just a wee bit LOUD, but not as loud as some of those vehicles where, when they are near you, you think there is an earthquake happening.  You know, the ones I call, "Boom-Booms."

Anyway, I popped Steve Miller's "Book of Dreams" from 1977 into the old CD player on the third day out as I drove from Hagerstown, Maryland, to the Antietam Battlefield.  It will now always remind me of the drive that morning down the country roads with all that fog this particular day as well as looking around Sharpsburg for a place to eat breakfast.  And, that was not as easy as you'd expect as Sharpsburg has gone out of its way to make sure it retains the same look as it did back in 1862 and avoid the commercialization of Gettysburg.  Also played it driving to Harper's Ferry and then backtracking into Maryland and to the DC horror.

Of course, this album had the biggies: "Jet Airliner," "Swing Town" and "Jungle Love," but I was wanting to hear the other songs on it as I had never bought it back in the 70s.  "Winter Time" reminded me a whole lot of the Mamas and Papas "California Dreaming" for some reason.

Then, there were two songs that could have been big hits if pushed: "True Fine Love" and "The Stake," a great blues song.

A Great Album.  --RoadDog

And, speaking of the 1970s, Bob Stroud goes back to 1970 on his Ten at Ten show on Chicago's WDRV, 97.1 FM at 10 AM and 10 PM CST.  Not only the music, but the bits of information given every two songs.  I'll be listening and recording.

No comments: