11. Fontana Dam-- 480 feet high, 2,365 feet long and 376 feet thick. Damn, that's a big dam.
12. Thomas Wolfe-- Wrote lots of manuscripts, but most famous for five little words, "You can't go home again."
13. Wright Brothers-- From Ohio, but did something famous in the state.
14. Pinehurst No. 2-- Nearly 600 golf courses
15. Charles Kuralt-- Journalist from Wilmington who would not like I-40
16. Moravian cookies-- So good people wrap them as Christmas presents. I must have been a bad boy as I've never gotten any.
17. Tweetsie Railroad-- Hear the engine climbing through some very rugged terrain go "Tweet, tweet." The little engine that tweet.
18. Lin Cove Viaduct-- 153 segments, all but one curved. When completed in1987, it linked Icon #1 and Icon #7.
19. Belk-- William Henry Belk used $750 in savings to open his first store in Monroe in 1888. Belk stores.
20. Daniel Boone-- When he got married and settled down in Rowan County, he said, "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." In that order?
More to Come. --RoadDog