The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Road Work Ahead, 2014 Summer N.C. Trip-- Part 23: Carolina Beach Southern Extension and the Beauregard

Left the Carolina Beach boardwalk area and drove to the Southern Extension area which has a one-way street running along the ocean-side with cottages and condos on both sides of it.  This is where my grandparents on my mother's side had their cottage right on the ocean during the 1940s until 1954.

I evidently spent a lot of every summer (well, first three years of my life) at this cottage and it is where I learned how to walk.  The wreck of the blockade-runner Beauregard was right in front of it and you could see it at low tide.  Perhaps one of the reasons I got so interested in the Civil War, well, that and Fort Fisher about five miles down the road.

Unfortunately, the cottage was completely erased by Hurricane Hazel in 1954.  No trace of it was left.  For years, the lot set empty until my grandparents sold it in the 70s and now the large cottage named the Sema is on it.

My great aunt, Anna Mae, had a cottage directly across the street and we used to go there a lot during the rest of the 50s and 60s and even as late as the 80s.  The new owners have done so many renovations that you can no longer recognize her place.

Spent Many Weeks Here.  --RoadDog

No comments: