The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

North Carolina Bound: Summer 2010-- Part 11-- Indiana

An absolutely gorgeous day to be on the road August 29th. I spent a lot more time in Vincennes than I had figured on, but didn't particularly rush to catch up.

I came across 105.3 FM out of Evansville, Indiana which had a show featuring all 1981 hits. I listened to this as long as I could. Indiana 550 crossed US-50/US-150 many times.

Caught US-50/US-150 heading east out past Washington, Indiana, on a bypass.Once east of Loogotee (how's that for a name), the scenery started getting REALLY pretty, then reached a crescendo after 50 and 150 split at Shoals. Much of this way I was in front of several old street rods. The truck had to feel so special. I know I did.

There were steep rock sides, curving roads, tree tunnels. It was every bit as impressive as Indiana Highway 46 from Columbus to Bloomington. Of anyone ever tells you Indiana is flat and boring, tain't true.

I was quite impressed with the little town of Paoli with its fine columned courthouse in the town circle and GAR Civil War cannons. For more info on Paoli, see the September 9th entry on my Civil War Blog: http://sawtheelephant.blogspot.com. Paoli was one of the farthest-north northern towns occupied by Confederates during the Civil War.


The drive was still alright to Louisville (but not as intense) where I picked up I-64 and crossed the Ohio River on a double-decker bridge (I don't ever remember being on one of these before.

Some Mighty Fine Cruisin' So far and the Day Isn't Even Over. --RoadDog

No comments: