The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Sunday, June 13, 2021

Going to Union-- Part 4: A Burger Surprise and Lots of History

Now, my absolute favorite burger is a Black and Bleu.  That would be a half pound of hamburger meat done rare with lots of bleu cheese on it. There is just something about how those two things go together.

And, Checkers II had a burger listed that also had grilled onions and peppers, melted bleu cheese and  sauteed portobello mushrooms.  Man, too good to be true.  But, I did remember the funny look on the waitress's face when I ordered mine done rare.

When it came, I bit into it, only to find what passed for the burger was actually a large slice of portobello mushroom taking the place of of the hamburger.  But, I can tell you I'm going to order it the next time I go there.  Boy, was that good.

Before I went to the meeting, I looked for the Harley Wayne mansion nearby, but couldn't find it.  Harley Wayne was a wealthy man who was a captain in 15th Illinois Infantry and killed at the Battle of Shiloh.  The GAR Post in nearby Marengo was named after him.

At the meeting, our the McHenry County Civil War Round Table gave a $1000 college scholarship to a McHenry County high school student who we judged to have the best of nine papers turned into us comparing Civil War medicine with the coronavirus pandemic.

Then, we heard an excellent talk on the good, the bad and the downright ugly among Civil War generals on both sides.

Good to be Back.  --RoadPortoBello


No comments: