The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Thursday, August 20, 2020

Back to My 20.4 Mile Road Trip in July-- Part 1


July 25, I drove a whopping 20.4 miles (well actually a bit farther since I initially missed the meeting location and went a ways south before backtracking, plus then drove to a favorite store since I was in the area).

This was the farthest I had driven since late February and early March before you-know-what hit.  Back then, I drove 60 miles to DeKalb, Illinois, from here in Spring Grove.  Liz and I attended two NIU basketball games (both victories), little knowing this was going to be the end of our trips for awhile.

Anyway, on July 25, I drove from Spring Grove to Algonquin for a McHenry County Civil War Round Table discussion group meeting, which was our first one since February, again, the reason you-know-what.  Plus Round Table folks are not known to be spring chickens so best to lay low.

We usually meet for discussion groups inside at the Panera Bread in Crystal Lake, who let us use a room for two hours.  Some of us started chompin' at the bit and wanted to do some Civil War talking and decided to try meeting outside at the Panera Bread in Algonquin.  We had seven in attendance and it sure was good to get back to some normalcy these days.  Thoroughly enjoyed it.

We met outside under umbrellas, observed social distancing and wore face masks except when eating or drinking.  We follow the protocol for these days.  Especially since we're so old.

We're meeting at the same place again this Saturday and will discuss "The Beast."  That would be the very interesting Union general named Benjamin Butler.  And, he was involved with my favorite Civil War battle, Fort Fisher.

Anyway, I not only got to talk Civil War (one of my favorite things to do obviously) but I also got to go to two of my all-time favorite places and on the way back, stopped at two more places I really like to browse.

It Was A Good Day.  --RoadFun

No comments: