The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Dead Page - Part 3: Robert Adler, Gave Us the Wireless TV Remote


Robert Adler- 1913-2007

Gave the world the wireless TV remote!!!!

Now here was a guy who really had an impact on us. Without him, there would be no channel surfing, arguments as to who has control of the remote, or futile searches for "missing" ones.

Robert Adler, 93 , died Feb. 13, 2007, in Boise, Idaho. He was born in Vienna, Austria, and accumulated over 180 patents during his life. In 1956, he and Eugene Polley designed the Zenith Space Command wireless control device for televisions. It used ultrasonic sound waves instead of a beam of light as the previous Flashmatic had done.

It made it possible to fully enjoy the benefits of cable and satellite technology and created a way to avoid TV advertising.

Interesting quote from Dr. Adler, "First and foremost, I hardly ever turn the TV on. And I certainly never channel surf." He actually seemed embarrassed about all the fame he achieved with what he considered to be one of his lesser inventions.

After coming to the US before WWII, he began employment at Zenith in 1941. He worked with oscillators used for military communication during the war.

Another invention of Adler's was a synchronizing circuit that allowed more stability in fringe areas of TV reception. He also pioneered technology employed by touch screens that are used so much today. Even with all his success, Dr. Adler continued working. His last patent application was Feb. 1st.

I love my many remotes and hate it when I misplace them. I especially like my remote to the CD jukebox where I can skip songs as much as I like to the chagrin of my wife and friends.

Facts from Chicago Tribune, Feb. 18, 2007 by Trevor Jensen.

How Did We Get Along Before the Wireless TV Remote?

No comments: