From the Lighthouse Friends Site-- Part 1
Not only was there a saltworks on the cape, but also a lighthouse, and not the first one ever at the site, but third one during the Civil War and eventually a fourth one.
There have been four lighthouses on the southern part of the cape and even another one to the north early on. Cape San Blas is the southernmost point on the Florida Panhandle and resembles an inverted and smaller Cape Cod.
In 1836, there were requests to Congress for not one, but two lighthouse on the cape. One was to be on the northern point to mark the entrance to St. Joseph Bay. A second one was to be built at the cape's elbow, the very southern part. That second one was to mark treacherous shoals that extended several miles south. But, due to monetary shortfalls, only the St. Joseph Bay Lighthouse was built.
More to Come. --RoadDog