First locomotive to operate in Chicago. Built in 1837 by Baldwin Locomotive Works for the Utica and Schenectady Railroad in New York where it was given the name Alert.
It pulled trains for them for nine years before being sold to the Michigan Central Railroad where it had a cab and tender added. It was used by them for two years.
After that it was sold to the Galena and Chicago Union Railroad where it was renamed Pioneer and used in the construction of its railroad.
It has been preserved and is currently on display at the Chicago History Museum. Its tender is in Villa Park, Illinois.
Jacob Zeilen, USMC-- Part 3: Commandant
10 hours ago