From the Only in Your State site "Here Are the Most Beautiful, Charming Small Towns in Illinois" by Laura Meli. More information and pictures accompany her article.
1. GALENA--"The Town That History Forgot." Liz and I had our honeymoon there back in August '73. A perfect choice for #1.
2. MOUNT CARROLL-- "The New England of the Midwest"
3. FULTON-- Dutch roots. Windmill on the levee. Lincoln Highway and Mississippi River.
4. MORRIS-- Illinois River, the I&M Canal, Illinois Highway 47. This is our preferred road to avoid the Chicago hassle so we go through town often.
5. GREENVILLE-- One of the state's oldest communities. On the National Road.