The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Monday, October 4, 2010

So That's Where Rollins Road Came From-- Part 2

Continued from October 1st.

Rollins Road is a drive I have often taken for shopping and the last two years I worked2004 to 2006, I had to drive all of it to get to my job at Round Lake Middle School in Round Lake Heights.

back then, I'd take US-12 to downtown Fox Lake, then Rollins Road into Round Lake.

I was able to get ahold of some old Illinois State Highway maps and started looking for the earliest mention of the road.

I also wondered where the name came from. I always figured it was most likely from a family name since so many local roads in the area are named for them.

I found that there was a town of Rollins, Illinois, located about where today's Il-83 and Rollins Road come together. It is no longer there, but if you search for it, you can still find it listed although I wasn't able to find anything except an arrow was it was. Possibly the town of Rollins was named aftera family named Rollins.

No businesses or homes are shown as having a Rollins address. I can't even find it in an Illinois gazetteer.

Most likely, there used to be a small settlement called Rollins which is now either a part of Round Lake Beach or Grayslake.

Where, O'Where Art Thou Rollins, Illinois. --RoadDog

No comments: