The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Teapot Dome Gas Station- Zillah, Washington


I've been throwing out my old National Geographics, but before anyone goes, I browse through it and am finding some interesting stuff. The July 1995 issue on the Geographica page had a picture and short write up on the an old teapot-shaped 1922 gas station in Zilla, Washington, that is still pumping gas (well, as of 1995).

It was named after the Teapot Dome Scandal where President Warren Harding's Secretary of the Interior, Albert Fall secretly leased the oil reserves of the Teapot Dome in the west to private interests for personal gain.

Lyn Dasso, who runs the "commemorative " station said, "The spout was the chimney for a wood-burning stove; the handle is a decoration." It was moved a mile in the late 1970s when I-82 was built and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

It is located one mile southwest of the Zillah town center and was designed by architect Jack Ainsworth.

I went to www.agilitynut.com/gas/wa.html and found pictures of it as well as four other interesting Washington gas stations: Crossett's in Ellensberg, Keeler's Corner in Lynnwood, a nameless one in Walla Walla that looks like a miniature of Route 66's famous U Drop Inn Cafe in Shamrock, Texas, and a really interesting one in Seattle called Hat N' Boots.

I really love gas stations when they make the effort to look different, be they new, like Pop's on Route 66 in Oklahoma, or old like these.

I'm a Little Teapot.... --RoadDog

1 comment:

Debra Jane Seltzer (aka agilitynut) said...

Thanks for the mention of my webpage in your post. I just put new photos of the Teapot Dome station. Sorry to report that it is still vacant. I'm also adding a lot more stations to that page and others that you might be interested in.