The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Monday, September 17, 2007

Confederates Buried at Arlington National Cemetery

I must admit that I did not think any Confederates were buried at Arlington National Cemetery, but I recently came across a blog that says around 482 were buried there in Section 16. That will also be a must-see site the next time I'm in the area.

The North started burying its dead there in 1864, after Robert E. Lee's home and grounds were confiscated for failure to pay back taxes. Imagine that? What would make Robert E. Lee not pay his taxes to the Federal government in 1862 and 1863. As I once heard in a movie, "Don't surprise me none."

As of 2006, there are 320,000 buried at Lee's former estate. Even some Confederates were buried there, but their families were not allowed to visit their graves until 1900 when Congress also authorized Confederate burials. Confederates from all around the DC area were reinterred at Arlington.

An interesting Civil War blog site. "Throwing Down the Gauntlet' at
http://madnessmike.blogspot.com/

File Under Things I Didn't Know. --RoadDog

No comments: