The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Monday, November 11, 2019

In Honor of Veterans Day: My Trip to The National U.S. Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB on Anniversary of JFK's Assassination


I have been writing about five places to visit to honor our veterans on this day in my Not So Forgotten:  War of 1812 blog.  This is one of those places.

Back in 2013, I decided to stop and check out this museum on my way to visit my mom in North Carolina.  I always take I-70 from Indianapolis to Columbus, which goes right by Dayton, where the AFB is located as well as the museum.

What made this even more of a special stop was that it the date I would visit was November 22.  That would be exactly a half century after President Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas.  His body was taken back to Washington, D.C. on Air Force One and this is where Lyndon Johnson was sworn in as the next president.

And, that airplane is at the museum.

Talk about history and I was going to experience it exactly fifty years to the day  after it occurred.  You could just feel the history all around you.  I saw the room where Johnson was sworn in as president with Jacqueline Kennedy standing next to him in that blood-smeared dress.  I saw the area where seats were cut out to carry JFK's coffin.

When it happened I was in 7th grade at Winston Park Junior High in Palatine, Illinois.  I sure remember that day and the next days after it.


No comments: