The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A Real "Hon" of a Place to Eat in Pontiac, Illinois

Most people cruising Route 66 in Illinois know about the famous Old Log Cabin Inn that was built in 1926. And, if I have seen it once, I've seen it as much as I've seen Japanese beetles on my bushes and trees right now, it was raised and turned around 180 degrees when the new 66 bypass was built in the 1950s. This place is truly a Route 66 legend and a place I've eaten at many times.

However, this last April, I was in Pontiac on a Sunday morning after having manned a Lincoln Highway booth at the Model A Club convention in Joliet, Illinois, the previous day. I was going to attend the Route 66 Association of Illinois' spring meeting. I had not signed up for the lunch so figured I'd just mosey on over to the Old Log Cabin. It was closed on Sundays.

So, I drove around town and found a likely candidate called Kim's about two blocks away from the wonderful old county courthouse in the square. I knew right away that this was a unique place when I saw flags, mostly state, lining the walls. There were ones from New Mexico, California, Illinois, and the Conch Republic and others.

The waitress walked up and said, "What'll it be, hon?" So it was to be that kind of a place; an old mom and pop restaurant. None of that, ""Hi, my name is Kevin, and I'll be your server today." I asked for a menu and why were all the flags on the walls? She didn't know.

I ordered a combo omelet for $5.95, which was so huge it had to be folded three times to fit on the plate. Besides three eggs, it had onions, green peppers, ham, sausage, cheese, mushrooms, and tomatoes. It came with some heavily buttered hashbrowns and toast. Coffee was a whopping 99 cents.

Kim's has been there 4 and a half years and it had been a restaurant before that as well.

I highly recommend it.

Just Say the "Dawg" Sent Ya. --RoadDog

No comments: