The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

McDuffie's Story- The Sailor in the Photo


Glenn McDuffie has given his story of that day in Times Square.

He said that he was 18 and changing trains on his way to see his girlfriend in Brooklyn when he was told that Japan had surrendered and that the war was over. He also realized that his brother W.D. would be released from a Japanese prison camp and would soon be on his way home.

"I was so happy. I ran out in the street. And then I saw the nurse. She saw me hollering and with a big smile on my face...I just went right to her and kissed her."

"We never spoke a word. Afterward, I just went to the subway across the street and went to Brooklyn."

He also had an explanation for his left and hand and wrist being twisted around the nurse's face. He says that he realized someone was taking their picture and wanted her face to be seen.

The picture appeared in Life Magazine. Since the photographer is now dead, the magazine still considers the identities as being unknown.

These are the kinds of stories that should be used in school history classes. They are bound to get student interest.

This is a Great Story. --RoadDog

No comments: