The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Anniversary Trip-- Day 1 Continued Freeport to Stockton

Stopped at a cheese factory west of Freeport which used to have a great little shop to buy their products, but, unfortunately, it no longer is open. I forget the name of the place, but it sure would have helped if they had a sign up saying it was closed.

Somewhere along this two lane stretch (it becomes two lanes after Business 20 and Bypass 20 join together), is where I got a speeding ticket back in 1991. Phil and I had just rebuilt the engine of my 1967 Firebird convertible (well, Phil did most of it) and were taking it out for a road trip. There was a slow-moving truck in front of us, and I was speeding up to pass it. All I had to do was wait for another oncoming truck to get by, and I was gone.

Unfortunately, there was a cop car behind that truck and I didn't see it in time. Very sneaky. I sped up and passed the truck and, sure enough, in my rearview mirror, I saw the cop pull over and do a quick turn-around. I was nailed and knew it. I pulled over and got my ticket for going twenty miles over the speed limit. We now knew the old car could move, but at a cost. The cop had to ask what kind of a car it was.

We went through Stockton with its display of bears working in a woodshop outside a log cabin home builder's place. Looking at a brochure, I see that the Kraft Foods Company started in this town. We'll have to check the museum for the first Kraft cheese plant the next time through.

Still working on Day 1.

Just You and Me Down US-20. --RoadDog

No comments: