The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Saturday, May 3, 2014

Kansas City's World War I Museum

From the April 6, 2014, Chicago Tribune" "Museum puts WWI into focus" by Jay Jones.

And a person has to wonder how they knew to call it World War I back then?

About 9 million soldiers died from 1914-1918 on both sides, including Americans, although U.S. entry wasn't until 1917.  In Kansas City there is the National World War I Museum sitting at the foot of the 217-foot Liberty Memorial, quite an impressive sight.

In ten short days after the war ended, the people of Kansas City raised $2.5 million to build the tower, which opened on November 11, 1926.  It is considered America's official World War I monument, even though there is a movement, supported by Frank Buckles, our last veteran of the war who died a few years ago, to build another memorial on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. (something that I fully support).

I will write more about  this museum in my Cooter's History Thing blog (perhaps today).

The National World War I Museum is at 100 W. 26th Street, Kansas City, Mo.  Hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Sunday until Memorial Day when the museum also opens on Mondays.  Admission is  $14 for adults, $12 for ages 65 and older and students 18 or older, $8 for ages 6-17.  Military gets a 50% discount.

Something to Visit With the Centennial of the War Beginning This Summer.  --RoadDog

No comments: