The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Friday, November 14, 2014

Road Music 2014 Summer N.C. Trip-- Part 1: Rock 'n' Roll: The Early Years 2

Since I am getting ready to hit the road again next week, it is time to write about my ride-along tunes from this past summer.  I listen to various radio stations and to CDs I select to bring along.

ROCK 'n' ROLL: THE EARLY YEARS 2

This is part of a four separate  CD (I only saw three though) set I bought at Half Price books, always a very expensive place for me to enter.  Way too many things of major interest for me, and, even better, nicely priced.

The songs in this set cover probably the late 40s to early 50s and is put out by Signature Records of England, Australia and New Zealand.  Interesting music, though some of it is decidedly inferior recordings.  Also, there were no dates or pertinent information given.

The artists:

LOUIS PRIMA:  4 songs.  I especially liked "Bourbon Street Blues" about all the good times you can have there

LIONEL HAMPTON:  4 songs.  All instrumentals with that good old boogie woogie feel.

BILLY PENROSE:  4 songs  all instrumentals.  I especially liked "Billy's Boogie."

WILL BRADLEY/RAY McKINLEY:  2 songs of very poor sound quality included.  But I especially liked their "Scrub Me Mama, With a Boogie Beat."  I will write about these two men in an upcoming post.

TOMMY DORSEY:  4 songs.  His "Boogie Woogie" is a classic.

SUGAR CHILE ROBINSON:  2 songs.  "Bouncing Ball Boogie" is a great one about a kid singing about basketball.

Rock Before the Rock As We Know It.  --RoadDog


No comments: