The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Tuesday, April 20, 2021

The Last Civil War Widow Died on Route 66 Back in December 2020, Helen Jackson

Not only did she die at a place on Route 66, but she also was born, grew upand lived on Route 66 her whole life.

I wrote about this back on January 18, 2021, when I first learned about her death and said I would be writing more about her life in my Saw the Elephant Civil War blog in the future.  Well, the future has come.

And, I wrote about her in this  blog because of her lifelong connection to our Mother Road, good old Route 66.

She was 17 when she married James Bolin who was 93 back in 1936. 

She was born in the small Missouri town of Niangua in 1919.  Route 66 went through there.  She died at a nursing home in Marshfield, Missouri.  The town and nursing home are both on Route 66.

I will be writing more about it in my Saw the Elephant blog.  Go to the My Blogs area to the right of this, scroll down to the site and click on it.  Click on the Helen Jackson label below to view the first post about her in January.  Her picture is to the right of this entry.  Just scroll down.

A Bit of Civil War History on Route 66,  --RoadCivil


No comments: