The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Quest for Warmth-- Part 3 Talking About 'Bama Drivers

Two things I can tell you about drivers here in Alabama (well, at least on I-65 and around Birmingham): they are fast and there are a lot of them.

The speed limit on I-65 is 70. I was keeping it right around there for fear of making the acquaintance of a state trooper. These fast things kept blazing by me. I finally figured out they must be vehicles when one had to slow down some when another one cut them off. Trucks were driving almost as fast.

Plus, I am just about positive that every soul in Alabama has three cars AND, they have somehow figured out how to drive all three at once.

They are all over the place, especially in Birmingham. Their traffic grid pattern seems to be arranged in such a way as to insure your getting extra time to admire the city at the many, many traffic lights. We saw a LOT of Birmingham.

Plus, never let anyone say Alabama doesn't get traffic jams. Yesterday, we had a big one getting back onto I-65 near the UAB campus, then another one once on the interstate. It finally let up and we cruised a bit further before we encountered a third one because of road construction.

The Perils of Driving in Alabama. --RoadDog

No comments: