The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

N.C. January 2017-- Part 12: Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda, But Didn't

JANUARY 14, 2017, SATURDAY

As I mentioned in the last entry about this trip yesterday, I would have really have loved to be down at Carolina Beach and Kure Beach today as there were big doings going on about Fort Fisher.  This is the 152nd anniversary of the 2nd Battle of Fort Fisher.

I have been wanting to go for years, but Liz's birthday is January 10 and since dad died, I have been going to North Carolina to visit Mom for Thanksgiving.  To come back from N.C. in early December and then turn around and go back six weeks later was just too much.  (It is 1050 miles to Goldsboro and another 100 to Carolina Beach.)

This morning, the Friends of Fort fisher, to which I belong, was having their annual meeting and descendants reunion at the Marriott at Carolina Beach with Chris Fonvielle, author and Fort Fisher expert speaking.

Then, there were all sorts of things going on at Fort Fisher, about four miles away.  There were re-enactors, cannon firing, kids activities and talks by Rod Gragg who wrote the first book on Fort Fisher "Confederate Goliath" and Richard Triebe who wrote a novel about blockade running, got hooked on the fort, and then wrote two books on Fort Fisher's history and garrison and captured soldiers sent to the Union's infamous Elmira Prison (referred to as "Hellmira").

As much as I wanted to go, I had lots to do at Mom's condo.  And since I inherited it, I don't think the others would appreciate it if I took off for Fort Fisher.

But, I Really Would Have Loved To Go.  Perhaps Next Year.  --RoadDog


No comments: