23. AN EXPLOSION AND FIRE DESTROYED SEVERAL GARAGES IN 1941.
On race day morning, some last minute welding sparked a blast and fire that took out a bank of garages and George Barringer's ride, a Miller that had qualified 15th.
24. TOM CARNEGIE BECAME THE IMS P.A. ANNOUNCER IN 1946.He'd hold that job for the next 60 years.
25. IN '46, INDY HAD ZERO TV STATIONS.
And, only five radio stations.
26. THE SINGLE LAP THAT YEAR WAS HELD BY RALPH HEPBURN.
Carnegie told fans that Hepburn had turned in 134.449 mph.
27. CARNEGIE WOULD CALL 61 INDY RACES DURING HIS TENURE.
Plus 12 Brickyard 400s and six F1 races (the U.S. grand Prix), before he retired after the 2006 race.
What, No radio?--RoadDog