The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Friday, March 18, 2011

OK, Barren County, Kentucky

I just had to wonder where they came up with a name like Barren to name their county. Myself, I wouldn't think this to be a name that would attract many people. It's sort of a negative connotation.

I did some research.

The county formed in 1799 and the early population was primarily Scots-Irish, hence the name Glasgow for the county seat. Current population is 41,184. A town I have visited is also in it, Cave City, home of one of the Wig Wam Motels (where I stayed two nights on the American Road Kentucky Road Tour a few years back.

It was at this time in my research I figured "Barren" must refer to the fact that the county is dry, you can't buy any alcohol. I didn't know that and hadn't toted my own in. Thought I might die of thirst but buddy Denny Gibson had a surplus so I got to wet my whistle at the bonfires at night. Thanks, Denny.

In 2005, Cave City did vote to allow alcohol to be sold at a couple restaurants.

The county is quite proud to have been voted by the Progressive Farmer as "The No. 1 Best Place to Live in Rural America."

Much of the county's business is tied to the nearby Mammoth Caves.

I finally found out the county got its name from barrens, vast treeless plains or prairies that are common in southern Kentucky. But, the land is anything but barren with its rich soil growing many crops. Also, most of the county consists of rolling hills.

So, Why Did They Call It "Barren?" --RoadDog

No comments: