The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Back to North Carolina-- Flying Time Again-- Part 1

Technically, I haven't finished writing about my Thanksgiving trip here back in 2010 (but at least I'm almost home on it), but here I am again in North Carolina.

Only this time, I flew. With the GRBs doing their gas dance and the Dakota getting about 18 mpg, I couldn't afford to drive.

Yesterday, I drove the 45 miles to Milwaukee's Billy Mitchell Field, stopping along the way in Kenosha by I-94, for some sliders at White Castle. I don't miss a slider opportunity and it is real hard to beat their $2.99 Snack Pack: three A-1 sliders, fries and drink (less than the price of a gallon of gas!!)

No delays on 94 getting to the field and parked at the $5 a day SuperSaver lot (with free shuttle). You can also do a sleep, park and drive at many local motels for $60-$65 (includes up to 14 days parking) and one of the park and fly places also has $5 a day.

No problem at the counter. Unfortunately, at Mitchell, the stores and restaurants are mostly before you get to the security check point. I remembered from the past that they had a great little bookstore with both used, but mostly used books, and it was still there so checked it out.

They had one of the best history collections I've ever seen with lots of Civil War, World War I and World War II books. I ended up buying The Confederate Navy: The Ships, Men and Organization, 1861-65 edited by William N. Still, Jr., for $25. You get free parking for up to two hours if you just want to go to the store as long as you spend $12. It is actually a collection of essays by some of the foremost authorities on the subject.

I read two of the chapters on the flight. Great book.

The Flights Up Next. --RoadDog

No comments: