The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Friday, February 8, 2019

Groundhog Day 2019-- Part 4: Killing Time In the Library


And, if you ever want some really tasty bakery goods, Swiss Maid Bakery is a real good place to stop by and partake.  There is also one in nearby Harvard, Illinois.

There wasn't anything going on until noon when they were having the chili cookoff at the Woodstock Moose Lodge (where the Groundhog Dance, Phil's piano debut and bachelor auction took place in the movie).  With time to kill, I drove the short distance to the Woodstock Library, where my McHenry County Civil War Round Table meets.

I have always loved libraries and this is a very good one.  I read today's Chicago Tribune and Northwest Herald in the newspaper/magazine room, complete with a burning fireplace.  I then did some research on McHenry County history, something I like to do while there.

I found a list of War of 1812 veterans buried in Marengo Cemetery.  I was surprised to find so many buried there since McHenry wasn't a county and Illinois was a territory during that war.  A lot of them moved here, possibly with land grants for their service which was offered to many back then.

I will be listing these men in my Not So Forgotten: War of 1812 blog next week.

--Brock-Perry

No comments: