The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Sunday, April 6, 2008

Glorious Dogwoods and Azaleas in Goldsboro and Mount Olive, NC


They're calling it the best show in years and I can believe it. The dogwoods in Goldsboro and Mount Olive, here in Wayne County, North Carolina, about 50 miles east of Raleigh are literally ablaze. It's a brilliant white along with the pink dogwoods that are just coming into bloom. Add to that, the red and white azaleas, gold forsythias, and purple wisterias and you have flower abundanza.

Just about anywhere you go, there is a mass of color. The bigger trees are just budding out, forming a canopy for the smaller dogwoods. My mother's yard is particularly stunning. She has added to what my grandmother started planting back in 1924.

As a matter of fact, the area behind her house, consisting of homes from the 1920s to 1940s, is a great drive. We were driving back in this area when I saw a particularly impressive blast of white, and, upon approach, it turned out, it was mostly my mother's yard.

Pill Hill, a neighborhood of upscale homes, is also stunning. It is located off Ash Street on Goldsboro's east side.

This color is so amazing, I had to go out and buy a new camera just to photograph it. That's right, I joined the digital age and bought my first digital camera Saturday with help from my sister-in-law Judy who is quite knowledgeable about such stuff. Unfortunately, it has rained and been overcast ever since. Hope I get some time to get some pictures in before I leave tomorrow.

This past Wednesday, I was in Mount Olive, my dad's hometown, and it is every bit as striking.

Goldsboro should have its own Dogwood Festival or, since Fayetteville already has one, perhaps a Blooming Spring Festival. Wilmington has the Azalea Festival and nearby Fremont has the Daffodill Festival.

Here's Hoping I Get Some Blue Sky Shots. --RoadDog

No comments: