The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Friday, February 8, 2008

Woodstock Willie's Groundhog Days-- Part 2

Walked across the beautiful town square and I was among the first to go into the annual chili cookoff. Few things in this world I like better than a chili cookoff. I love tasting the different chilis. I was very impressed with a vegetarian chili and voted that the best.

As usual, I wasn't the only one and the room at the Opera House was soon shoulder-to-shoulder big winter coats. Turning was difficult and I don't even want to talk about trying to get up to the tables to sample others' offerings. They should just allow a certain number in at a time and keep reminding people to go to the center of the room to taste. Also, it might help if they would have the people put the chilis into the paper cups a little ahead of time. They were mighty hot to the touch.

Walked around the square for awhile visiting stores and dropped off a note to Village Cove, where my mother-in-law lived for about three years in assisted care. She died last week in a nursing home at age 92. She had a great apartment overlooking the square. I always joked with her that she had to hold on long enough so I could get the place when I reach that point in my life. Unfortunately, that was not to be.

Every year, there are walks to the various "Groundhog Day" movie sites, usually given by Bob Hudgins who served as the film's location director. A new plaque is placed each year as well. This year's was at the alley where the old man died.

There are usually anywhere from 60-100 people, but this year we had at least 500. I decided just to stay for his introductory talk in front of the Opera House (usually, it is in the Stage Left Room) but there were too many people.

Bob has done the walk (it's given both days) most every year since the celebration started 14 years ago. My very first year, it was given by Steve Tobolowski who played Ned on the movie.

More to Come... --RoadDog

1 comment:

dr. gonzo said...

Woodstock is a special kind of cool for me, I love the square. It's peppered with some great architecture, the Old McHenry County Courthouse, lit up at night, really gives the building a monumental feel.

The commercial buildings, the brick roads, the old theater, they all help add to the atmosphere of the area. It is especially pleasing during the winter, in my opinion. The entire square is a historic district, listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Opera House and the Old Courthouse each enjoy separate, individual listings on the Register as well.

Also, I have always wanted to go on that walk, Groundhog Day still makes me laugh.