The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

2014 Route 66 Cruisin' Music-- Part 8: Led Zeppelin III

This is a newly released digitalized CD of the 1970 album, which, at the time, I didn't much care for when I first heard it.  As a matter of fact, this is one of the few Led Zep albums I never had until I bought it in Sullivan, Missouri, at the Wal-Mart on Route 66.

It wasn't in the $5 bin like the others, but they had it on sale for $9.  I figured, why not buy it and give it another chance.

Now, back in college, I scraped up enough money to buy the first two albums by them (although it seriously cut into my drinking funds).  I heard a friend playing it at the frat house and liked a couple songs, but am sure what turned me off was the 4th cut, "Since I've Been Loving You" which clocked in at 7:24 and was slow blues.  I hated blues music in college and for several years afterwards, but now really like it.

At a much older age now, I can appreciate that song much more, even though it bordered on jamming too much.   (I still do not like jamming.  The worst concert I ever saw was the Grateful Dead at Alpine Valley.  I think they played four songs over three+ hours.)

Blues You Can Use.  --RoadDog

2 comments:

DennyG said...

Not many people say their worst concert was the Grateful Dead:-)

RoadDog said...

Not sure that most folks there even knew they were there. The air was really THICK.

I finally gave up expecting any songs to be played beyond the long, long, long jams. Enjoyed watching the people after that. That was about worth the cost of admission.