The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

T-Giving NC 2010-- Wreck of the Shenandoah

Still in Ohio, but working my way to West Virginia. Now on I-77. Stopped at the first rest area south of I-70. I had been here many years ago and remembered a marker there concerning the crash of a US Navy dirigible.

The marker reads:

Wreck of the Shenandoah "Wind increasing in volume. Got no chance to..." Last words from the Navy airship Shenandoah caught in a violent storm. Crashed 7 miles northwest of this spot near Ava at dawn Sept. 3, 1925.

Fourteen of the crew killed. Souvenir hunters stripped the wreckage.

US questioned the value of huge, rigid dirigibles. The last one crashed 1935.

Smaller blimps replaced dirigibles.

Ships in the Air. --RoadDog

1 comment:

DennyG said...

The Shendoah's commander, Zachary Lansdowne, was from Greenville, Ohio, and there is a sign marking his house. The local museum has a display on the wreck which I've seen several times but I've never been to the crash sights. There is a story here:
http://www.touring-ohio.com/history/shenandoah.html
but, more importantly, there are lyrics to "The Wreck of the Shenandoah". Recordings of this song are reported to exist. Let me know if you find one.