The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Friday, September 10, 2010

A Big Happy Birthday to the Lincoln Highway

It was September 10, 1913, that the Lincoln Highway first opened. It was the first transcontinental US Highway as envisioned by Carl Fisher of Indianapolis who also started the Dixie Highway and Miami Beach. Talk about a man with huge vision!!

It eventually became the first paved coast-to-coast highway in the United States.

This road has become a big part of my life since I began my roadie days. I have driven it from eastern Ohio west to a little past Omaha with several trips along the whole length of Illinois. After getting interested in old roads via Route 66, I immediately fell upon the Lincoln.

I belong to the Lincoln Highway Association of Illinois as well.

Even before I really knew about it, I went to Northern Illinois University in Dekalb, right on the Lincoln (Il-38 now). I spent many nights drinking at the downtown bars on the road. Later, Liz and I got married at the Newman Center on campus and had our reception at the Holiday Inn (now Best Western) right on the Lincoln.

Doing the Lincoln since 1969. --RoadDog

I should also mention that today is also the anniversary of the opening of the Avus Autobahn near Berlin, Germany. It featured a non-existent speed limit and could be considered the first interstate. And, I had always thought Hitler started the autobahns.

No comments: