The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Lincoln Logs: Old Dutch Mill-- Brick LH Pillar-- Hoosier Happenings

News of the Lincoln Highway. New News About an Old Road.


1. OLD DUTCH MILL-- I see in the Lincoln Highway News, that new owners are rehabbing the Old Dutch Mill, east of Van Wert, Ohio, and along the old Lincoln Highway. New owners Dawn and Mike Van Doren did not know their place's role in transportation history, but do now.

They say work is needed on the roof, but the bar is still there. Back in the 1920s, it was a one-stop place for travelers with gas, food, and lodging.

It has striking architecture and I'm glad to see it coming back.

The guy behind me wasn't too happy with me the first time I saw it, as a sudden pull-over became necessary. He was following too close anyway. I guess I should put a sign up on he back of the car saying, "Caution, I Stop for Interesting Stuff."


2. BRICK LH PILLAR-- Also from the Lincoln Highway News, July 28th, The Mid-Ohio Chapter of the Lincoln Highway Association has repaired a red brick pillar dating back to 1921 to commemorate the bricking of a stretch of the Lincolnmin Crawford County, west of Bucyrus. Mighty impressive.


3. HOOSIER HAPPENINGS-- The July 28th Hoosier Happenings blog took the first of two parts of a trip along the Lincoln Highway in Elkhart County. Lots of good pictures and text. Check it out at http://hoosierhappenings.blogspot.com.

If you want to find out about anything going on along the Lincoln Highway, I suggest you check out the Lincoln Highway News blog.

Who Says the Old Road is Dead? --RoadDog

2 comments:

Lincoln Highwayman said...

Nice blog!

Your Lincoln Highway pieces are very informative. I'm planning to drive the route myself soon and write about about the experience as I make my way from NYC to San Francisco. Would you be interested in trading links with me when I do so?

Regards,

Jim Devitt

blog.lincolnhighwayman.com

lincolnhighwayman.com

RoadDog said...

Looking forward to reading about your trip. A friend og mine is driving from Illinois to San Francisco starting tomorrow. He'll be keeping us up on his progress.

Check out Denny Gibson.

I'm thinking about doing the Iowa LHA motor tour later this month.