The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Monday, March 9, 2009

On Moving Day-- Yuck!!!!

I hate moving. I never have liked moving. I hope not to move anytime soon, but may have to when property taxes here in Spring Grove, Illinois, hit $10,000 in five to six years. Right now, they are a bit over $8,000. Way more than the services I receive.

Sunday I read Julia Keller's "Lit Life" column in the Chicago Tribune. She was reviewing Louise DeSalvo's new book, "On Moving: A Writer's Meditation on New Homes, Old Haunts, and Finding Home Again."

In the column, Keller says that the average American moves almost a dozen times in their lifetime.

I got to thinking about my moves. I used to move a lot, but, since 1975, have only moved once. One thing I did notice was that each time Liz and I moved since we got married, we had considerably more "stuff" to move, mostly mine. I'm a "stuff" accumulator.

Early moves were with the family as Dad worked his way up the business ladder with Quaker Oats. Then, there were the college days.

Since college and marriage, there have been just four moves with three coming in the first three years as we situated ourselves with work and affordable housing. We have been in our current home in Spring Grove since 1992, the second longest I've ever lived somewhere.

A Somewhat Complete List of Places Later Today. As Good as Memory Permits, Anyway. --RoadDog

No comments: