The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Jack in the Box

I'm using the book I was talking about yesterday, "Fast Food" by John A. Jakle and Keith A. Sculle, as a source for a little history of a favorite hamburger joint of Liz and myself, Jack in the Box.

The first one was in San Diego in 1950, which the authors refer to as one of America's primary hamburger "hearths." Its store design and signs were designed to draw attention of the driving public.

The 870 unit chain was bought by Ralston Purina in 1968. Expansion to 1,100 units, though caused a loss of identity and the chain divested itself in the Midwest and east.

Liz and I are particularly fond of the Monster Tacos, but I understand they are dropping them. Personally, I like the regular tacos just as well, then there's that great hamburger.

Nearest one to here is in Litchfield, Illinois, on Route 66.

Having a Jack Attack. --RoadDog

No comments: