The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Having Fun In the Cold, Snow and Beer-- Part 2: Civil War and A Chili Cookoff


SATURDAY, JANUARY 26

Temperature at Woodstock, about 16 miles from here at -12 degrees this morning.    By 3 p.m., it was 6 degrees.  But sun out and really didn't feel that cold.

Drove to Crystal Lake for the McHenry County Civil War Round Table discussion group meeting at Panera Bread in US-14 (Northwest Highway).  Topic today was Hood's 1864 Tennessee Campaign (which I will write about in my Saw the Elephant:  Civil War blog next month).  We also discussed the attacks on Confederate heritage.

Stopped at a favorite place, Barnes & Noble on the way home and bought two of my favorite magazines:  "Naval History" and "Civil War Monitor."

Later, we went to the Legion and I gave post commander Kelly pictures of World War II veteran Ray Merrick who was in the Asian Theater during the war.  I wrote about him in my Tattooed On Your Soul:  World War II blog earlier this month.  She will be putting those pictures along with my posts in the Legion newsletter.

We were at the Legion also for the Rotary Club's annual Chili Cookoff held in the Legion hall.  This is always one of the best cookoffs as there are always 25+ samplings.

And, I Loves My Chili!!!  --RoadDog

No comments: