113. THE BORG WARNER TROPHY WAS INTRODUCED IN 1936. Crafted out of sterling silver by Spaulding-Gorham of Chicago, it was unveiled at a dinner in New York in February 1936, featuring bas relief sculptures of every Indy 500 winner up until that time.
114. THE TROPHY IDENTIFIES THE RACE AS THE "INDIANAPOLIS 500-MILE RACE."
Even though at the time it was called the "International Sweepstakes."
115. The trophy was commissioned by the Borg-Warner Automotive Company, now known as BorgWarner.
116. At that time, it stood four feet, four inches.
117. THE ORIGINAL VALUE OF IT WAS $10,000. Today it is worth well over $1 million.
Win the Race, Get Nice Trophy --RoadDog
OK, All You Cub Fans
1 day ago