The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Doing My Lincoln Highway Centennial Thang-- Part 6: First Caravan Cars and Denny

Going back to June 27th.

I saw my first of the old cars in the caravan coming through Dekalb at 4:07, just one car, though.  Then a group of five came through at 4:28.  Participants in the caravan have magnets on the sides of their cars.

Denny gave me a call that he was on the outskirts of Dekalb so I told him to meet me at the east McDonald's.  He had had a traveling companion since leaving New York City last week, but the companion left in South Bend, yesterday.

Denny followed me to the main entrance by Northern Illinois (right on the Lincoln Highway).  That takes you by the Lagoon area and up a slight rise to NIU's very first building, Altgeld Hall, built in the 1890s which has been very carefully preserved to its original grandeur in the past ten years.  It is called "The Castle on the Hill" as that is exactly what it is called.

We got out of the cars and walked around a little taking pictures.  I didn't bother putting coins in the parking meters, figuring with it being late in the day and during the summer, we shouldn't have any problems. 

Wrong.  --RoadDog

No comments: