The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Hey, I Stayed There!! Sleeping in a Tee Pee

The March 11th Shorpy site of old pictures featured a July 1940 picture of the Wigwam Village #2 in Cave City, Kentucky. It was taken by Marion Post of the Resettlement Administration.

Alongside the main tee pee, there are stools and log chairs evidently for sale. The main tee pee has the word "EAT" over the door and the pumps out front are selling Standard Oil products. Two have Crown gasoline and there is also a Crown Extra (must be premium). There is also a sign advertising Brown's ice cream.

Four smaller tee pees are in the picture as well. The sign above the pumps reads "Eat and Sleep in a Wigwam" and it is an approved AAA Court.

Several years ago, a group of us stayed here during an American Road Magazine Midwest spring trip. It was quite an experience and I'd sure do it again. I especially liked the public area where we had bonfires and a bbq. I didn't like the fact that the county is dry, so I had to rely on the generosity of others.

Next Time I Bring My Own With Me. --RoadDog

No comments: