The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

On the Road Again-- Ultimate State National Road Guide-- Marietta, Ohio-- Part 2

After leaving the National Road Visitors Center in Richmond, I got back onto I-70 into Ohio, under that wonderful arch.  I don;t know, but passing under an arch, especially a huge one like this that stretches over both east and west bound lanes as well as the median strip, just makes me feel like a returning conquering hero. "All HAIL JULIUS ROADDOG!!!" Or is that RoadDog Caesar?

Got off at the Ohio Welcome Center since my appetite was now whetted for a National Road Trip on my return from NC in April. They have a tour guide which should be the standard for every state when it comes to touring old roads. This is a fantastic one and, it's a date, the National Road I'll be a-driving in a couple weeks. They also got me one for the Lincoln Highway, which was good, but not Ohio National Road good.

Missed the rush hour in Columbus and drove on to Cambridge where I stopped at a Burger King which has to have set a new record for the "SLOWS: when it came to getting my junior whopper. I went through about two Cokes awaiting the blessed appearance.

Then, it was I-77 to Marietta, right on the Ohio River. I read that this is the oldest town in Ohio. Getting dark so pulled off the road and got a room at the Super Eight. The motels in Marietta were quite difficult to get to because of frontage roads. Played NTN at the Holiday Inn, the only site in the town. I don't know of many Holiday Inns with it.

Still More to Come. --RoadDog

No comments: