The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

New Route 66 Newspaper--Route 66 Advertiser


OK, the first issue was April-May, but I "filed" it away and just came across it. I wrote my notes about Kim's Restaurant on it, so that's how I came across that as well.

All of a sudden, we have two Route 66 newspapers printed on a monthly-bi-monthly basis. The other is the Route 66 Pulse which started publication last year. Both are excellent sources of Route 66 info, and, best of all, both are FREE!! I really like free stuff.

The Advertiser covers all 8 states and along with ads for motels, restaurants, "tourist traps", and businesses, it also has articles, often about those ads.

If you're like me, you always prefer to stay in mom and pop motels, but you just never know what you're going to get. After reading about the Van Duyne Motel in Wilmington, Il, "Best Motel by a Dam Site" (it is by a dam on the Kankakee River), I would have no qualms about staying there.

Same goes for Vernelle's Motel (1936)in Newburg, Mo, just west of Rolla. I have always felt sorry for this place as it was bypassed and cut off by I-44 which was bad, but even worse now that I-44 runs along a new alignment. I'll stay here the next time through after reading editor Jim Michilac's article. Vernelle's is just a few hundred yards from the fast-deteriorating ruins of John's Modern Cabins built in 1935.

So, next time you're cruising the "Mother Road", pick up a copy.

Always Glad to See Another Great Route 66 Publication. --RoadDog

No comments: