The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Sunday, August 5, 2007

Found--One Pull Tab Beer Can in the Chain

Speaking of history, this past Wednesday, while out on the Chain of Lakes in my boat, I came across a can floating in Fox Lake by Mineola Bay. As I usually do, I drifted up by it and pulled it out of the water.

It was an Old Style beer can. At first I thought someone must have thrown it in during the weekend, but, when I looked at the top, I noticed it was an old pull tab, where it came off completely. This has to be an old can, that was underwater for a long time. An anchor probably dislodged it.

How long had it been under the water. I did a little Wikipedia research and found out that the new stay tabs had pretty-well completely replaced the old pull tabs by the early 1980s, so this can is probably at least 25 years old. It would be interesting to know its story.


A LITTLE ALUMINUM CAN HISTORY


The aluminum can that holds most pop and beer we now drink, was invented in 1959. Before that, there were aluminum cans, but with cone tops and a cap you twisted off.

The first pop company to use the new cans was RC Cola and Diet-Rite Cola in 1964.

The pull tabs became a major source of litter. Some people would put the used tabs in the cans and an unfortunate few swallowed them, so much for doing your good deed for the day.

The stay tabs were a big improvement and have no doubt saved millions of bare feet from serious wounds on the beaches of America.

Hey, any collector out there want to buy a slightly-used beer can?

In my younger days, I stepped on my fair share of pop tops and would definitely like to thank whoever invented the stay tab. Thank you very much.

Like Jimmy Buffett Says, "Stepped on a Pop Top. Had to Cruise Myself on Back Home." --RoadDog

No comments: